Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 2: Hey hey, c'mon get happy!

I didn't sleep so well last night. And this time, the boys weren't to blame. No, this time, it was my husband. He is a very, VERY active sleeper. Add to that the fact that he snores (loudly), and the next morning you will have a well-rested husband and a wife that does not wake up with a pleasant demeanor. Then, to add insult to injury, I nearly screamed expletives at the scale when it told me I've gained 2.6 pounds since yesterday. What??? Needless to say, between having no sleep and having to deal with a dirty, lying, no-good scale (just let me have my delusions, ok?), I was NOT a smiley, happy person.

After dropping the 4 year old off at school, I drove back home feeling all pouty. The absolute last thing I wanted to do this morning was exercise. However, since I have poured my soul out into this blog, I thought it would be in my best interest to hop my butt in gear. I perched the sleeping baby on the bed and began searching through my shelf of exercise DVDs, hoping to find one that would boost me up mentally as well as physically.

The DVD that I grabbed was Leslie Sansone's Walk Slim: Fast Start 1 & 2 Mile Walk. When I first began the serious exercising in 2007, this was the first DVD with which I started. Leslie Sansone is very bubbly, and her exercise videos are the kind that just about anyone capable of walking can do. That being said, I will warn you that she talks a LOT, so most people either love her or hate her. Anyway, Leslie's upbeat banter with her fellow exercisers was apparently just what I needed this morning. After the first 10 minutes or so, I found myself smiling right along with her as I walked, side-stepped, kicked, and knee-lifted my heart rate into the aerobic zone. I actually continued to smile my way through the remaining 25 minutes of the workout...even through the intervals!

Now, if you know me in real life, you'll know that the "Little Mary Sunshine" approach usually does NOT work with me. (Yes, yes, I know you're dying from shock.) But it hit me this morning when I first realized that I was smiling back at Ms. Sansone's image on the TV: If I'm going to do this, I may was well be enthusiastic about it! I've always heard that even if you don't feel anything remotely akin to happiness, you should smile anyway because it really does make you start to feel better. Cheezy, right? Absolutely. But it's also true. I'm going to have to exercise probably most of my remaining days on this earth, so I'd better dang well find a way to make the most of my workout time and learn how to enjoy it. I did today, and in doing so, I managed to boost myself out of my pee-poor mood. Yeah, ok, you may want to check with me in a few hours to see how I am, but right now I'm smiling, so just let me have my fleeting, happy moments, ok?

Oh, just in case you're wondering, I'm still smoke-free! And you can bet that I'm enthusiastic about that, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment