Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 8: Uhhh...

Ok, so I've totally fallen off the wagon as far as blog posting goes. And Friday night's meal of cheeseburgers, fries, and fried mushrooms from Chow Wagon didn't exactly conform to the low calorie/low fat/low cholesterol diet that I'm supposed to be following. And I didn't get to exercise on Friday or on Saturday. Ok, that's the bad stuff. The good stuff is as follows.

1) I've increased my intake of raw fruits and veggies. Since I'm lazy by nature, I really enjoy the pre-cut and packaged ones. Yes, I'm shameful. Oh, and I also cut my red meat consumption down to just two meals this week. Well, three, thanks to Friday's binge.

2) I did get right at 200 minutes of good, sweaty cardio. When I exercise, I push hard. I don't have lots and lots of time to devote to exercise, so I try to make it count for everything it's worth.

3) I'm still smoke free! I've resisted the evil urges to light one up by reminding myself that I'm accountable for my actions. If someone asks me if I'm still not smoking, I want to be able to honestly answer them in the affirmative.

All in all, it hasn't been a bad week, as far as health modifications go. But as far as other things...ugh.

See, I have guttate psoriasis. This type differs from the more common plaque type in that instead of larger, scaly areas, I develop smaller, scaly red bumps everywhere--arms, legs, feet, trunk, back, even my scalp. It's very unattractive. My skin usually stays relatively clear during the summer, mostly due to skin exposure to the sun. However, for some whacked-out reason, the hateful red spots have been reappearing this week. They're not thick on my body (yet), but my scalp is absolutely covered. This does not make me happy. I'm trying to get a handle on it with vitamin supplements as an alternative to having to go back on Humira. Now, Humira did clear my skin, and it also suppresses the joint inflammation and pain that I deal with due to psoriatic arthritis...but the side effects of this injectable include increased upper respiratory infections, fatigue, and increased incidences of lymphoma. Yikes. Scary stuff, there. So, I think I'll stick with my vitamin coctail for the time being and hope for the best.

One day at a time, that's all I can think about right now. So let's go, Week 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment